By Team Gom Sa Bopa
In the same vein, we remind the government to urgently implement the following TRRC Recommendations which it accepted back in 2021:
TRRC Volume 7: Attack on the Media and Freedom of Expression
1. Take all necessary steps to ensure that all journalists are able to freely exercise their right to freedom of expression without fear of arrest, detention, intimidation, or harassment.
2. Provide comprehensive training and reform of the security sector to understand journalism and the importance of freedom of expression in a democratic government.
3. Reform the Criminal Code to fully protect media freedom and freedom of expression, in particular by decriminalising sedition and defamation, ensuring that individuals’ reputational interests can only be safeguarded through civil litigation, in conformity with international human rights law.
4. Protect the right to freedom of expression by repealing the Sedition Act and the Official Secrets Act.
TRRC Volume 15: Judiciary
5. The government should undertake to at all times respect the Constitutional provisions on judicial independence and the principles of separation of powers as enshrined in the Constitution of The Gambia.
6. The government should review the law on refusal to obey court orders by public officials with a view to putting in place a more stringent regime that would ensure compliance.