By Yusef Taylor, @FlexDan
One Jocking Mendy of Bunkilling has complained to Gainako Online News that he and his family are at risk of eviction after receiving a letter from the Sheriff’s Office. The land in question is an irregular shape in the outskirts of Tujering behind Tanji which he says measures approximately 200 meters by 450 meters.
A letter dated 23rd June 2021 from the Sherriff’s Office instructs that the occupants have been “warned to vacate from the said property on or before Wednesday 7th day of July 2021. Failure to adhere to this notice will lead to your forceful eviction from the said property”.
To verify his claims Gainako spoke to the Sheriff, one Mr Abdou Conteh Esq who explained that he was following the orders of the High Court to serve Mr Mendy and his family an eviction notice.
According to Mr Conteh, the current occupants visited his office for clarification and he explained that a ruling from the Kombo South District Tribunal in November 2016 ruled in favour of the plaintiff, one Mr Omar Bitaye.
After Mr Mendy and his family contested the ruling of the Kombo South District Tribunal at the High Court, the ruling was upheld by the High Court resulting in the Sheriff’s eviction letter.
Mr Conteh says the next action from his office would be to enforce the eviction with Police Officers.
Mr Jocking Mendy explained that the ruling from the District Tribunal initially allocated around 75% of their land to Mr Omar Bittaye and his Family in a sketch plan stamped by the chief. However, Mr Omar Bittaye and his family are now claiming ownership of the entire land currently occupied by Mr Jocking Mendy and his family.
According to Mr Jocking Mendy, the Kombo South District Tribunal relied on false allegations that he missed their hearings in 2016 after being notified. In fact, Mr Mendy claims that he had been chasing the Tribunal to attend sittings, however, he never received notices of their sitting. Sometime later he was notified that a ruling had been reached against him which he should collect.
After the ruling against him, Mr Jocking Mendy went to the High Court to seek redress, however, the ruling of the Kombo South District Tribunal was held by the High Court.
Mr Mendy says that he and his family don’t feel safe because they were attacked in April 2020 on their farm by a mob of approximately ten people who were armed with knives and cutlasses. The confrontation lead to an ongoing court case at Brusubi Tribunal. Mr Mendy says their next sitting is due in August 2021.
Mr Mendy showed us a picture allegedly of the mob showing a man with a big knife which he identified as one Ebrima Jabang from Tujereng, a close friend of the Bittaye Kunda family currently claiming ownership over their land.
One Kissima Bittaye identified as a State Council at the High Court is alleged to have been armed with a cutlass by Mr Jocking Mendy.
In 2019 Gainako had visited the land in question and spoke to one Mr Gorrah occupying a disputed section of the land.