By Yusef Taylor and Edrissa Jallow
Alleged Coup Plotters Targetted State House and Other Government Institutions says Newly Appointed National Security Advisor
President Adama Barrow’s newly appointed National Security Adviser, Mr Abubakarr Suleiman Jeng, revealed to the press that alleged coup plotters targetted State House and key government institutions in a “botched plan”. Speaking to the media on 29th December 2022 Mr Jeng says the coup plotters had support from outside the country and planned to take Cabinet Ministers hostage to avoid foreign intervention.
Mr Jeng who appeared nervous during his speech revealed that “reports are pointing to the suspected involvement of sponsors for the coup plot from civilian collaborators both within and outside of the country. The investigations are seriously looking into this angle”.
Most importantly he says “an Operational Plan of the alleged plot detailing the outline of the botched plot is already in the hands of investigators”.
Speaking on “the said plan” Mr Jeng says they indicate “the composition of the formations that were to participate, the required deployment strength, tasking and positioning to forcefully takeover the State House and prevent any intervention”.
1. Lance Corporal Sanna Fadera of The Gambia Navy, who is the alleged ringleader,
2. Corporal MbarraTouray of the First Infantry Battalion,
3. Corporal Ebrahima Sanno of The Gambia Armed Forces Military Police,
4. Sergeant Gibril Darboe of The Gambia Navy,
5. Corporal Bakary Njie alias NJIE B from the State Guard.
6. Second Lieutenant Omar Colley from First Infantry Battalion,
7. Captain Ebrima Baldeh from the Military Intelligence at the Defence Headquarters in Banjul
You can watch the 10-minute press conference at the link below.