By Edrissa Jallow, @EdrissaJallow10
The current party leader of Citizens’ Alliance (CA), Dr Ismaila Ceesay is set to continue as party leader for the rest of his two-year term as no elections were held during its two-day national congress. Newly appointed Senior Administrator, Mr Carayol also disclosed that over D1.6 million had been spent by the party from 2020 to 2022. The two-day congress was held on the 29th and 30th of December 2022 at Paradise Suites Hotel.
The Acting Deputy Secretary General, Alpha MK Lowe disclosed that CA didn’t hold an election during the congress but rather appointed a new spokesperson and other positions. It could be recalled that the positions of National Party Leader, Dominic Mendy and Spokesperson, Nenneh Freda Gomez became vacant after a fallout occurred in the aftermath of the 2021 Presidential Elections.
Mr Lowe who was later promoted as the Acting Senior Administrative Secretary explains that the party’s constitution dictates that an election be held every four years “where members can elect new executives”. However, the constitution also mandated that the executive may appoint new members when needed.
It could be recalled that from Friday 27th to Sunday 29th November 2020 CA held its maiden congress where Dr Ceesay and co-elected to serve four years as the executive of the party. This means that all elected party representatives in the first congress (2020) will continue serving until the year 2024.
The party leader, Dr Ceesay revealed that CA’s coalition with President Adama Barrow’s National People’s Party (NPP) is based on two criteria which he said are mainly for the upcoming local government election and policy alignment.
This prompted our reporter to question the newly appointed Acting Spokesperson Landing Jatta if CA will contest the 2023 local government election. In response, Mr Jatta outlined that CA will hold an “executive meeting later in the week” after which their decision will be communicated.
CA Spent Over D1.6 Million Since 2020 Congress
A co-opted member of the CA Denrol Carayol stood on behalf of CA treasurer Modou Mboob disclosing the overall expenditure of the Party since its 2020 Congress held in November 2020. According to Mr Carayol, the party’s expenditure is one million six hundred and twenty-four thousand six hundred and fifty-seven dalasi.
Breaking it down, Mr Carayol explained that a total amount of one million four hundred and twenty-nine thousand and twenty dalasis “comes from the diaspora donations such as GoFundMe Programs or through other various fundraising activities”.
While an amount of three hundred and twenty-five thousand six hundred and thirty dalasi (D325,630.00) came from “various individual party member contributions that are locally based in The Gambia”.
Denrol Carayol who was later appointed as the Senior Administrative Secretary revealed that the total income of the party is one million seven hundred and fifty-four thousand, six hundred and fifty dalasis. He added that “the net proceeds are thus one hundred and thirty thousand and three dalasis”.
Senior Admin Carayol explained that the funds were spent on “party activities which include but [are] not limited to transportation and logistics, campaign materials and events, the procurements of t-shirts and flyers, communications activities, motorcycle maintenance”.
Below is the list of executives appointed and two vacant positions.
- SG & Party Leader: Dr Ismaila Ceesay
- National Chairman & Chief Resource Mobilising Officer: Raffie Diab
- Acting Senior Administrative Secretary: Alpha MK Lowe
- Senior Administrative Secretary: Denrol Carayol
- Treasurer: Vacant
- Deputy Treasure: Aja Savage
- National Organizing Secretary: Aida Bah
- Deputy National Organizing Secretary: Njaga Nyan
- Senior Strategic Communications Officer: John Jammeh
- Communications Officer: Modou Mboob
- Acting Spokesperson: Landing Jatta
- Deputy Spokesperson: Edi Njie
- National Women Mobiliser: Maimuna Jallow
- Deputy Women Mobiliser: Sainey Saho
- National Logistics Manager: Pa Lamin Gasama
- Deputy Logistics Manager: Batu Manneh
- Campaign Manager: Basirou Manka
- Deputy Campaign Manager: Vacant
- Youth President: Omar Dibba
- Youth Vice President: Alieu Nyang
- Diaspora President: Momodou Lamin Kanagie
- Diaspora Vice President: Harriet Joiner
- Differently Able President: Yusupha Hydara
- Director of Think Tank: Mr Mahtarr Njie
- Head of Protocol: Mariam Jeng
- Deputy Head of Protocol: Andrew Mendy